This is Shadow:
This is Mr. Bill:
When you squeeze Mr. Bill he lets out an “Oh Noooooooooooooo!” and Shadow comes running, no matter where he is in the house.
He loves Mr. Bill. He takes him everywhere, shows him off, and every time he accidentally bites him in just the right place and makes him say “Oh nooooooooooo!”, he drops him and stares at him with wonder and interest as if it’s the most interesting thing in the world; as if he’s hearing it for the first time.
When you communicate and relate to your customers, both on and off-line, do you have that sense of wonder? Whether they are there for the first time or the hundredth time, are you excited to see them? When you engage with them on Twitter or Facebook, do you have a high level of enthusiasm?
Shadow should be your role model. Do what he does, but try not to squeeze your customers too hard or slobber on them.
You are Shadow. Your customers are Mr. Bill.
A version of this post originally ran in April 2011
- How to Beat the Clutter and Your Competition (inklingmedia.net)
- What Kills a Customer Relationship? (inklingmedia.net)
- The Secret Sauce for Creating Gold Medal Relationships (businessesgrow.com)
- Five Step Process for Using the Social Web (spinsucks.com)
- Using Social Media to Make People Feel Special (waxingunlyrical.com)