Every time we turn around, someone is getting in trouble because of the way they are (or aren’t) using social media. Either they are saying something stupid, or not responding to negative comments, or not apologizing properly (or at all), or having some other break down in communication.
Now, it seems as though one of our most popular cultural icons is in a bit of hot water: Punxsutawney Phil.
No, our groundhog friend didn’t open his mouth and make some embarrassing political statement. He also didn’t insult women, or a particular race. But he is in trouble.
Thankfully, I’m here to help, and I’m offering my services to our four legged meteorological prognosticator before his little problem gets out of hand.
Here is a screen shot of the Punxsutawney Phil Facebook page, showing that I’m not the only one complaining that Phil got it wrong, and as you can see, there has been no response; no engagement. A big social media no-no.
And feel free to check out his website. In the video I mentioned that there was no mention of his current prediction on the site.
I stand corrected.
After I recorded the video I went to the site, and they just uploaded a picture of the prediction. On Thursday. March 8th. FIVE WEEKS after the prediction was made; in the midst of 70 degree weather. It wasn’t there the day before…
Yes, Phil. I’m here for you when you’re ready for my help.
- Your Business and Our Strange Obsession with a Groundhog (inklingmedia.net)
- Black Swans and Ground Hogs: Communication, Not Prediction (waxingunlyrical.com)
- A Break from Social Media Is Killing Carnival Cruise Lines (spinsucks.com)
- Customer Service is Everything: Introducing a New Resource for Businesses (inklingmedia.net)
- Ocean Marketing Fired and Crisis Managed (spinsucks.com)