One of the things that I love about my little city of Lancaster is that while it is small, it has a pretty amazing music scene. So many great bands, some of which have gone on to the “big time,” and it’s a community that really supports its members.
So for today’s edition of the Friday Blogging Experience, I decided to share with you a simple Spotify playlist of some of the many bands and artists from this area. Many of these have become good friends over the years, so this is one way I can help to share their music.
Let me make a few qualifications before I get started:
1. This list is not exhaustive – There are plenty of other great musicians and bands from our area, but I could only include them if they have their music on Spotify. There are some great bands that no longer exist that are not represented, like The Mint and Movies With Heroes, but alas, you’ll have to find their stuff elsewhere.
2. This music goes beyond Lancaster – The criteria for most of these is that they are from Lancaster, or a member is from Lancaster, or have some sort of connection to Lancaster. Plus, I’ve broadened my reach to Central PA, which would include York, Harrisburg, Hershey, and more. Oh, and I’ve included a small handful of artists from other parts of the state (and even Canada) who have embraced Lancaster as a second home.
Oh, yeah. I also included Taylor Swift. She’s originally from this area…
3. Not everyone is included – Oh, I’m sure there are plenty more not represented here, but either I forgot about them, or don’t know about them. And in some cases, I’m intentionally excluding bands with a local connection. *cough* Poison *cough*.
4. This list will grow – I’ll be adding more music from a lot of these artists, and others, over time, but right now, I just wanted one song from as many as possible.
5. There is no one genre here – I’m all over the place. From singer-songwriter and folk to indie rock or hardcore, it’s all here. We even have my friend Steven Courtney represented, who made his name making music for kids. I think you’ll enjoy what I chose for him…
6. This is not in any particular order – The order on the list is purely random. I haven’t ranked them from favorite on down.
So with all of that in mind, here is my Spotify playlist: The Central PA Sampler. Enjoy! Oh, and once you’ve listened, feel free to explore their other music. One song can’t do any of them justice.
And before you leave, head on down to the comments and tell us about your favorite local band, wherever “local” is for you. And consider making your own local playlist on Spotify to share with your friends.
- 5 Things I Miss From the Good Old Days (inklingmedia.net)
- The Friday Blogging Experience: The Joy of Bacon (inklingmedia.net)
- How Social Media Helped Save My Life (inklingmedia.net)