I’m writing this at 9:30 on Thursday night, and feeling like an idiot. I got home from teaching a class and was agonizing what to write about not realizing that it was going to be Friday, when I usually lighten things up and do something different for the Friday Blogging Experiment. And then my son said, “Isn’t tomorrow Friday when you do that other stuff?”
So that makes things easier. Let’s play the weekend music game, a semi-regular feature here on the blog. And we’ll switch it up a tiny bit. We’ll play the regular version of the game, and then add something into the mix. The first part is to put your music player on shuffle/random/DJ, and then hit play. List the first five songs that come up, without skipping!
The second part is that I want you to list one of your new musical discoveries. Preferable something new that you first discovered via the Internet or social media. That way we can all learn some new music. Here we go!
1. August Burns Red – Eve of the End – Local hardcore band gone big time. Seen them a few times at the Chameleon. Crank it up!
2. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Let the Day Begin – Ah…this is sweet. From BRMC’s new album, this is their cover of the song from The Call. The cool thing about this is that BRMC’s bass player is Robert Leon Been, son of the late Michael Been of the Call. Pretty cool tribute.
3. Nico – Roses in the Snow – Not a huge Nico fan, and this might find its way out of my library…
4. Virgin Prunes – Come to Daddy – Odd performance group out of Ireland that were good friends/classmates with the guys in U2.
5. Bruce Cockburn – Totem Pole – Early stuff from the Canadian singer/songwriter.
My favorite in that bunch is definitely the BRMC.
Now for the second part, an artist and song I just discovered 5 minutes ago on Facebook. This video is from Welsh artist Al Lewis, (not to be confused with Grandpa Al Lewis) and was produced by Charlie Peacock. Charlie shared his info on Facebook, I clicked through, and I really like this song. A nice pleasant pop song. Give it a listen.
Now it’s your turn. What are your five random songs, and give us an artist that you’ve recently discovered through your online connections. Feel free to post links and/or videos.
- Weekend Music Game: What’s in Your Ears? (inklingmedia.net)
- 2012…What a Rush! (gigspots.com)
- 5 Tips for Defining and Refining Your Blog Content Strategy (inklingmedia.net)
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Announce New Album And Free Download Of New Single (noise11.com)