I hate moving. Period. I’ve discovered that packing up an entire house full of belongings and moving two miles is the same headache as moving across country.
The move across Lancaster from the West Side to the Northeast Side has taken its toll on this old body. And that’s the reason for my blog silence over the past few weeks. I hate not being able to blog. But it was necessary.
But here we are in a brand new month, and I’m ready to roll. So it’s back to blogging and we’ll kick it off easy with the latest edition of the Friday Blogging Experiment. A few weeks ago we shared together in Five Things I Love and Five Things You Love, and it was quite interesting. So I thought we’d do the inverse this time around and talk about the things we hate.
I don’t just mean the things we dislike. I mean the things we absolutely despise, loathe, and detest. And we’ll use the same categories we used for the previous post, and you’ll get your chance to weigh in as well. So here we go!
1. Name a food you absolutely hate – I’m pretty easy to please. I love food and will try almost anything. But there are a few foods I really detest, mostly because of childhood trauma. So I’m gonna say asparagus. We had it a lot when I was a kid, and this was at a time when buying it fresh wasn’t really an option. So what we had either was frozen or came in a can; I can’t really remember. Everyone says to me, “Oh, but have you had it prepared properly and fresh?” Yes. I have. I’ve had it served to me in the finest of restaurants and prepared every way imaginable. Still can’t stand it.
2. Name a band/musician you hate – This is tough because while I’m not picky about food, I am picky about music. There are a lot of bands and musicians I can’t stand. From Maroon 5 to Dave Matthews. But for my purposes here, I’ll go with Billy Joel. And there’s a reason. Back when we were kids, my brother tried to teach himself how to play piano using the sheet music for “Piano Man.” It was painful. Every time he would make a mistake, he went back to the beginning. And his mistake often happened within the first line or two of the song. Drove. Me. Up. A. Wall.
3. Name a TV show you hate – I really don’t watch a lot of television, but I have a serious aversion to reality shows of just about any sort. I think the one that annoys me the most, and yet is still popular, is American Idol. The judges annoy me, and the way the show is presented annoys me. It’s more about ratings and less about real talent.
4. Name an author or book you hate – This is tough. I rarely pick up a book and hate it, mostly because I’m picky and I don’t read something without knowing more about the author or book. I’m not a big Shakespeare fan, but I think it’s just not my cup of tea. I was going to say Stephanie Meyer, because she gave us the whole Twilight mess, but to be fair, I’ve never read her work. Have no interest. So for me, I’ll go with James Joyce. I’ve tried him several times, and find his work pretentious and unreadable. I know it’s fashionable to laud him and Ulysses, but in my opinion it’s just not that good of a book.
5. Name a sports team that you hate – This one is pretty easy, and I’m going to name two: the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Yankees. Fans of these teams will hate me, but I think that over the years, these two teams have embodied a lot of what is wrong with professional sports.
Those are my hates. What about yours?
In the comments, make your list of 1 through 5 and tell us about the things that you hate!
- Pardon the Interruption… (inklingmedia.net)
- Five Things I Love and Five Things You Love (inklingmedia.net)
- If you could turn back the clock… (billdorman.me)
- The Danger of Silencing Your Enthusiastic Crowd (inklingmedia.net)